Once you've setup Time & Budgets, you can begin setting/adjusting budgets, adjusting fee settings, adding expenses, and adding time to your work and contacts.
Note: If you don't see a specific feature available, be sure to check your Time & Budget settings to ensure the necessary options are turned on or that you have the proper Time Administrator permissions.
Time & Budgets in work
Go to any existing work item and click the Time & Budget tab to review budgets, adjust budget estimates, change fee settings, add time entries, add expenses, and review actuals vs. budgets.
Add or update budget estimates
To add a budget estimate to your work item, click Add Budget Estimate and enter:
- Team Member: The colleague responsible for the work (if known).
- Role: The job role expected to complete the work (regardless of who might do the work).
- Task Type: The activity the person/role will be completing (like a meeting or administrative work).
- Hourly Rate: Click Use Default to apply the default billing rate assigned to the associated role's task type. Enter a custom value if the default value isn't correct.
- Estimated Time: The total amount of time in hours and minutes that is expected for the given Team member (if known) to complete ALL tasks for the given Task Type for the given Role. For example, an Admin (role) might complete administrative activities (task type) at the beginning AND at the end of a job. In this case, the sum of those two activities would be included in a single budget estimate.
Once complete, review that the Estimate Total matches your expectations and then click Save. Repeat this process for all associated Task Types per Role and for all Roles that participate to complete the work. This will create an accurate budget that can be reviewed in total in the Budget Overview and by Role / Task Type / Team Member in the budget details table.
If updating an existing budget estimate, click on the entry's detail line to bring up the estimate's details to edit. For instance, if the budget table is viewed by Budget by Team Member, click on the Team Member and then click on the details line that gets expanded to edit the prior budget estimate.
If your work item is on a repeating schedule, work estimates will carry forward to the next item in the series at the same time your task details carry forward.
If you want to record an expense within the work item, click the Add Expense button (or link) and specify the expense's description, cost, amount billable and the date the expense occurred. Only users enabled to view dollar amounts can record expense entries.
If you track expenses, the expense data will get displayed in the client's Time & Budget view and included in all related Time & Budget exports.
If you don't want to keep track of expenses in Karbon, you can turn off the setting in your Time & Budget settings.
To add time to your work, click the Add Time Entry button (or link) and complete the time entry details requested. When possible, Karbon will pre-populate with known values like Work and Date. For the time activity completed, be sure to provide the correct Role and Task Type to associate the right billing rate. Provide the total time spent completing that activity, add any notes, and click Save.
To edit or delete an existing time entry, simply click on the time entry from the Time Entry Report section to review, update/delete and save. To change an existing time entry, be aware of the following restrictions:
- The person editing must be the same person who created the time entry.
- The time entry cannot be part of an already approved timesheet. You will see a lock icon just left of the Time column if part of an approved timesheet.
- For those integrated with QuickBooks Time, you must edit/delete the time entry within QuickBooks Time after it is created (and not directly within Karbon).
Note: To associate to the right billing rate, be sure to select the right Role and Task Type for the work performed. Karbon will match to a budget estimate first to obtain the proper billing rate and then to the default billing rate for the given role / task type combo. If you want to add a custom billing rate for a time entry, first create a budget estimate for at least the Role / Task Type combo using the custom billing rate. Then, create a time entry that matches the combination of Role / Task Type.
Time & Budgets in contacts
Time & Budgets for contacts allows you to:
- Log your time and add expenses directly to a contact. Keep in mind that time can only be entered directly on a contact if you have chosen that setting. If you haven’t already, here are instructions on how to set this up.
- Filter by time period, Work Type, and/or Work Status to review all activity across time and expenses for the contact.
- Review activity by Work or Work Type to get an assessment of what time has been tracked, what was the budget, and how much budgeted time remains (overall vs. by team member).
For contacts, you will see ALL of the budget vs. actual data that is pulled in from associated contact’s work items where budget or actual time has been entered. Use the filters located at the top to further refine your view to get to data view preferred.
Add expenses to a contact
Much like adding an expense in work, you can record an expense within the contact view which will also be included in the exports. Just click Add Expense, complete the details, and click Save.
If you don't want to keep track of expenses in Karbon, you can turn off the setting in the Time & Budget settings.
Enter, update or delete time on a contact
Like for work, enter time (and its details) for a contact using the Add Time Entry button. Update or delete a time entry from the Time Entry Report. Be sure to choose the proper Role and Task Type to associate the correct calculated amount.
View budgets by work or work type
For the given contact, the Budget by Work and Budget by Work Type views will show ALL of the budget vs. actual data pulled in from associated contact’s work items where budget or actual time has been entered. Use this information, to get an assessment of what time has been tracked, what was the budget, and how much budgeted time remains (overall vs. by team member).
Based on how you have filtered the data, the Budget Overview provides the overarching totals for budgeted hours/dollars, actual hours/dollars, and the hours or dollars remaining.